Monday, November 1, 2010

Woman Gives Birth To Twins; One Black, One White




A British woman is making headlines after having a rare pregnancy and giving birth to twins---one Black and one white.

21-year-old Shirley Wales is from Grenadian descent and was shocked to see that her son Leo had brown skin like hers while his twin sister Hope bore a resemblance to her father with white skin and blue eyes.

Wales, who is no longer with their father, tells the UK Daily Mail that the possibility of one Black twin and one white was a running joke between her and her friends but she never thought it would really happen.

“Throughout the pregnancy I'd joked about the babies being black and white, I even said to my friends that if one was black and one was white I'd call them Ebony and Ivory. When they were born though, I realised it would be cruel to actually call them that.”

She also says she noticed their different skin tones immediately,

“I immediately noticed that Hope was completely white and although they didn't look that different when they were first born, because they both had a bit of jaundice, I could tell Leo's skin was going to get darker and Hope's was going to stay white.'”


According to the new mom, her daughter is often mistaken for her neice but she encourages people to be open minded.

“If I didn't have Leo with me, people would think Hope was my niece, but that doesn't bother me really. I love telling people that she is actually my baby…People just need to be open-minded, it can happen. I'm thrilled about it.”

Doctors say that two separate eggs were fertilized by two separate sperm, resulting in the different skin tones in the biracial children.

In July, a Nigerian couple made headlines after giving birth to a blonde hair blue-eyed baby.

No comments:

Post a Comment